Monday, November 27, 2017

Random Memories, Take 2, Mostly: Boat Life

Ok, I came up with another list of short stories I need to capture before concluding with our final week in Australia! Hang in thereJ

So, our first morning waking up on Hamilton Island at the Great Barrier Reef, we went to talk to a dive master and this is how we learned about the real bad conditions under and on the water. I was quickly realizing I wasn’t going to get to see much under the sea/ I had a decision to make. How would I deal with this? Immediately, I knew I was totally ok. A bummer to be sure, but I’m still there standing in front of the great barrier reef! This is STILL amazing! We were walking on the beach just enjoying the interesting shells and rocks and I was just feeling so thankful and happy, and then I saw a heart shaped rock sitting all by itself, just waiting for me to see it. I accepted it as a gift:)  We did later go ahead and do some snorkeling, but the conditions were probably the worst I’ve ever been in. And, that’s ok. 



The cruise director was a young guy named Andy who was really cool. We watched him stay totally calm and positive while people complained about the most absurd things you can imagine. At our final sip and savor with only 1 or 2 nights left on the boat, we caught him during a relatively quite moment and he started telling us some even better stories. The absolute best had to be the guy who, 2 days into a 42 day journey, complained that he didn’t like his cabin layout and asked Andy to swap the bathroom and the bed so the arrangement would be more pleasing. I told him about the lady I stood in line behind who threw her head down on the excursion desk when she heard the ferry would cost $2 each way and wailed, “what am I, rich!?!?!?!”

Jason is much more of a TV person than I am. In fact, had he not been with me, I likely never would have turned it on a single time. He’s the kind of person who turns it on the moment we return to the cabin, even if not really intending to watch anything. Because of this, we had 31 days to hear south pacific commercials. Day 1, we saw this soccer commercial about the Road to the Russian Cup. This is not terrible because the stupid commercial had the catchiest song ever. From there on, we must have heard it 5+ times a day and we always had to stop and head bob to it. On our last day, I recorded a video of it so we can hear it again later;)

There was a piano bar on the boat that I wanted to go to every day but often couldn’t stay awake long enough. We eventually made it 3-4 times. One such time, it was a shout out a request session. The pianist had provided a long list of songs he knew. A couple sitting in front of us did 2 things quite quickly: dominate the song requesting and really annoy us. After the lady requested about 5 in a row, she then requested Lady in Red. Sigh. Now, listen. I love 80s slow songs as much as the next person and I even love this song, but one guaranteed way to kill the crowd in a piano bar is sing back to back to back slow songs.  Anyway, somehow after this song, a conversation breaks out across the bar. A random lady yells out, “Who sings that song?” The song requester hoarder yells back, “Chris DeBurg!” Question asker, “Oh, Who’s that?” Hoarder Face Rude Lips, “Chris deBurg? OMG!!! I love Chris DeBurg! I’m like totally his biggest fan!” About this time, I lean over to Jason and whisper, “This can’t be happening because there are no Chris DeBurg fans and he only ever had one song” About that time, Question lady pipes up again (sigh) and yells, “Oh yeah? What else has he done?” Chris DeBurg’s biggest fan, “OMG! Well, um, gosh (grabs head with both hands while pondering deeply) OMG, well, wow, I can’t think of anything else”  Me: smiles knowingly Jason: orders a double Crown, no ice. 

There was always live music at night across the boat. I wish I was more of a night person because I absolutely LOVE listening to live music and rarely are bands sitting around at 3PM playing. Anyway, there was a duo called Adagio who played several shows a night in the lounge next to the art gallery. The duo was one pianist and one violinist. They were quiet good. That said, we started a game where every  time we’d walk by, we would count the number of people who were asleep “watching” the show. I can fall asleep with the best of them and that music could certainly help me, but I really didn’t get why this happened night after night. If you are going to nod off in the middle of a performance, get up and go to your cabin! So rude!!  

We started a nightly tradition of writing praise cards to the staff. We went to a coffee chat with the staff one morning, and I asked the hotel director how the staff and crew got rewarded for great service. We loved her answers and after that we endeavored to turn in a card every day with praise for at least one crew member. We didn’t always get this done, but we tried! And let me tell you – boy did they appreciate it. Turns out, when we turned in our cards, they were called into their boss’s office, shown our praise notes and given their appropriate rewards/ Consequently, they were so happy when they saw us again! Pulling us aside to say thanks and let us know how much it meant. I loved seeing this go full circle so quickly and love a management philosophy of rewarding and acknowledging your teams for a job well done.

So, I’ve mentioned that we attended ALL the art sessions, lectures, auctions, games, etc. I still can’t believe that really happened. Anyway, at the auctions, there were always several ways to win things in addition to being able to bid on art, of course. We got really good at winning. There was a “loud” prize – Shocker, but we won that sucker a few times;)  The prize was a bottle of (great) French champagne/ Jason has the quickest arm I’ve ever seen and always managed to fling his bid card in the air before absolutely everyone else for another contest/ This lead to us winning 4 or 5 pieces of art. As a stark comparison, when I was holding the bid card, I would hear the cue given and sit there like a lump. Jason would look at me and say, “really?” and only then would I realize I didn’t put my bid card up. We all have our strengths. 



I love learning about various places and things from fellow travelers. One night at a wine dinner, Karen was telling us about her trip to Cuba. Oh man, was that ever fascinating. I can’t remember how she met a local Cuban, but she did. When she was ready to go down and visit, he asked if she would bring some things. I remember that she brought coffee and cash – there was something else but I can’t recall what now. So, she goes out on this tour with a local who eventually tells her the truth about what it is like to live there. He tells her of having a separate monetary system for locals which prohibits them from even shopping in certain places. Visitors would use a different currency and shop in different stores so they wouldn’t even see the conditions or rations that were forced onto the locals. They aren’t allowed to buy even their delicious coffee! Instead, they have a ration of something else that was described as a watered down, weak chicory. They were so excited with the things Karen brought them. Also interesting that the government had no worries about her bringing all the stuff in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment