Friday, August 11, 2017

7 weeks Till 7 Weeks

Things are really starting to fall into place now. We have a mere 7 weeks to go before sailing away for 7 weeks.

How's this even possible for you? People ask me this all the time. This probably is because I can't stop talking about it. And I won't. I haven't been this excited about something in a very long time.

But anyway, how's it possible? Because I work for PayPal, which is an AMAZING place to work. When I was interviewing almost 6 years ago, I remember the recruiter telling me about this great perk -- a sabbatical every 5 years. Now, I hadn't been in one job for 5 years...well, ever...but I locked my sights on that and never looked back.

PayPal has been nothing but great to me this entire time. I truly love working there. But this sabbatical-- talk about the cherry on top! The way it works is, after every 5 years you get 4 straight, paid weeks off. If your boss is awesome, like mine, you can then also attach additional PTO time and keep on truckin'. PayPal actually no longer has us accrue PTO -- we're tracking free so you take time whenever and for however long you want (as long as you are performing well and your boss is cool, right?). So - boom! 7 weeks.

AND, in a way that can only be the result of God shining major love down on me - my sweetie gets to go along with me and has a way to be off work for the entire 7 weeks, too. I mean, he's not getting paid while we're gone -- this isn't a total sunshine, unicorn and rainbows thing. But, it's pretty darn good.

So, after going back and forth for pretty much my entire life, we've mostly arrived at our agenda. Which is good, because I need a vacation from sabbatical planning. I don't expect I'll muster any sympathy, but it really has been exhausting.

We're still finalizing all the many flights, hotels, excursions, etc. More on those later.

In the meantime, there is much more to do! Things like figuring out which shoes can do double or triple duty. Which clothes will dry the fastest. Whether the beverage package is cheaper in the long run. Whether trying to construct the same excursion on our own will actually work. Constructing a work out plan to not gain weight during the portion of the trip that is a 31 day cruise. Reading ALL the lonely planet books ever written. Trying to figure out why we stop in Samoa but there is nothing to do there (or if there is, no one is talking). How the heck much IS the wi-fi and why can't they just post it? How am I going to write if I don't bring my laptop? Resolving the utmost desire to unplug but keep up to date with posting stories, pictures and moments to enjoy for many years to come. How to get ALL THE BOOKS into my Kindle and how to stop reading them all before I ever leave.

Much to do.

And then, I also need time to just sit in complete awe that this is real and this is my life.

Yesterday, I booked a kayaking trip in New Zealand. I'll get to paddle into the infamous glow worm caves. I can't get over this upcoming joy. I know I'll be a total dork and cry while sitting in there because it will be so amazing and I'll feel so blessed and overwhelmed.

There was a time in my life where I didn't really feel anything for a long while. Totally numb. So, I'll take this unexpected excitement and future plan to cry when I see the glow worms.







This is real.

Maybe all the dreams don't get to come true. But this one does.






No comments:

Post a Comment