Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Bap, roll or wrap?

So, we had a slow start leaving Galway. We’re at that point in the journey where we’ve been experiencing a lot of togetherness and despite this, somehow failed to talk about what the morning would be like. We’re not solidly planning each day out but we generally have some semblance of what time we’ll be leaving and what not. Today, we did not which meant a few of us were up sitting around waiting and a few slept longer. All fine and good in the long run but we realized it’s more fun for all to agree on a leaving time so everyone knows what’s up and can do their own thing until then. No worries, we’d do better from then on.

So, we get in the car and we’re trying to figure out breakfast. Ireland is a slow rolling start sort of place so there are no options for early breakfast eaters. And by early I mean before 9 am. Suddenly, Sara sees a place and we pull over. Woo!

It’s a cute little place with only outdoor seating. I order a breakfast sandwich called, “the manhattan” for reasons that never were clear. Here’s what happened next:

Me: I’ll have the Manhattan, please.
Her: Bap, roll or wrap?
Me:
Her: Bap, roll or wrap?
Me: uh
Her: walks to bread racks and speaks slowly while pointing: Bap....roll... wrap?
Me, stares at “bap” trying for words:
Her: stares at me
Jason: I’ll have the Manhattan, too, on a bap
Me: yes, bap
Her: ketchup, relish or butter?
Me:
Her:
Jason: yes
Her: which one?
Jason: butter?
Me: no
Her: ketchup, relish or butter?
Me: no. None. Nothing
Her: dry?
Me: I’m sorry, I don’t understand what’s happening.

Seriously. What the hell is a bap and who puts ketchup, relish or butter on an egg sandwich?

My brain died. I can’t speak English. Just want egg. Hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment