Saturday, February 25, 2023

Coming Face to Face with Dragan

 Guys.

For real.

The title happened this morning.

You will love this.

Now, if you don’t remember how we first met Dragan, go back and read the post on establishing the underground smuggling ring. But the gist of it is, Dragan is the one in the back office that helped connect the dots between Jason and James in Vines (and later Ginny) and everything we were trying to move through the underground into the quarantine cabin. The first of which was toothpaste shortly followed by wine. Which should always be the opposite order, BTW, but when one hasn’t brushed in 3 days, one no longer cares about things like logic and tastebuds. 

A few days ago, we discovered that Dragan was still on the Regal. And so it was going to be a matter of time before the glorious meeting would occur. Today was the day.

The gang met up around 9 in the Princess Live theater to get the scoop about being “in transit” tomorrow. This means we have the pleasure of being 6 of the 348 people who are staying on the ship for another cruise. We’re good at this - we did 3 back to back cruises last spring. You never know what the country of disembarkation/embarkation will require - hence the meeting to find out. By the way, the country in question this time is the US, which means the rules are stupid. We all have to get off. Wait an hour. Then get back on. If we don’t immediately get back on, then we have to wait until all the new people get on. You know. Logic. Whatever.

So, Ginny, Mike, Dianna and I are all sitting in the theater. Jason was ordering a coffee outside and who knows where Rich was. Jason comes in and whispers, “Dragan is here.” I gasp with the correct amount of appropriateness. I’m looking around. Jason whispers again, “He’s at the side door. I told him to wait for us. To meet you.” 

YESSSSSSSS!!!!

So, the moment comes. We walk out and there he is! I recognize him immediately because Jason said, “There he is.” Lol. Remember, I never saw him. But the second I heard his voice, I knew it was the man on the other end of the phone promising I’d get my toothpaste. And wine. 

So Jason said, “Ok, so you may not remember our story - but you are very famous in our lives and honestly, in the world.” Dragan cocks his head to one side, as though he’s trying to remember. Jason said, “Last spring, you helped us establish an underground smuggling ring…” and a big smile broke out.

Dragan said, “Let me see if I can remember. You tested positive and were in quarantine. Having a hard time…”

I said, “YES! And you made it possible for us to get things to each other.”

Then Ginny pipes up, “Yeah, and it really got good when Jason also went into quarantine and the New Mexican Mule had to step up - that’s me! I dropped the goods then.”

We all laughed and laughed. 

He was so happy to know we all came back.We were so happy to hear about his promotion (ahem!!) He’s now an officer on the boat. See kids? Forming an underground smuggling ring is a legitimate step in one’s career path. I say this with authority, of course, as a Director of Career Development. I know what’s up. 

We took a photo together. My hair is straight up Caribbean humidity whack but you can see how happy I am.

I really didn’t think I’d ever meet Dragan. Shoot, half the cruise last spring I was convinced he was merely an enigma. A ghost. A vapor? What’s cooler than those things? Whatever it is - that’s what he was.

What an absolute pleasure to get to tell him in person how much he meant to us! Thank the people that rock your world- you won’t always get a chance to later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment