Sunday, April 10, 2022

The Day I Got Smoked Out By The Libyans

 Following Crete, we took a break in Greek islands and went to Turkey! We arrived in Kusadasi that morning for our tour to visit the ancient city of Ephesus. I was really excited about this. I haven’t been to the Holy Lands yet- so this was as close as I would have ever been to walking where Jesus walked. I’ll start with walking where Paul walked and move my way up!


We were worried about our tour because we couldn’t tell how long it was and we had a very short day in port, for some reason. We sailed again at 1:30. The Princess excursions offer you the protection of guaranteeing the boat won’t leave without you. This was not a Princess excursion.


So, we got off the boat early and were hoping we’re find our guide and ask questions about our return. There he was! And boy was he a character. First he said, ‘You don’t worry! You miss the boat, you come to my house. I have great food. Oh, we’ll go to my summer house. Plenty of room!’ This was funny but not all together comforting. Right? At one point I had to stop myself from saying, “Bro. I need you to actually say the words, ‘we will be back at X o’clock’ where X is less than 1:00.”


But, as I always do when in a foreign country and not really knowing what was up, I went along. We had a large motorcoach and only 14 people. ROCK ON. Jason and I had the entire back half of the bus to ourselves. Woo!


Jon was a wonderful guide- great English, tons of historical knowledge. Extremely affable. He asked me my name and I told him. “Ah,” he said. “The lamb.” Yes, Rachel is Hebrew for ewe. Then, “Are you a believer?” I am. “Wonderful! What a great day you will have, my lamb!”


When we got to Ephesus, a very short drive away, I was immediately taken with it. They’ve only uncovered about 15% of the town. Which is hard to imagine because there is a lot there! Jon chatted away, story after story. It was good. History meets Greek mythology meets Biblical times. But I found myself wanting to wander off. Wishing I’d brought a pocket Bible so I could sit and strain my aging eyes to read the tiny print of Paul’s Letter to the Ephesians…while sitting in Ephesus. No WiFi happening, so I couldn’t go about it that way either. Alas. 


One surprise about Ephesus, for sure, was the sheer volume of cats. Cats. Felines. Everywhere you looked. Sitting on top of columns, lying alongside statues. Strolling through the ruins like ancient kings and queens. What were they doing there? Who knows! I wonder if cats walked along with Paul back in the days. 


As we wrapped up our time there, we came into a market area- just outside what would have been the ancient market area where Paul spent 2 years walking, talking, preaching. The Turkish people are lovely and polite. So happy to see us, as everyone had been. We didn’t buy anything there- we knew we’d have more time in Istanbul for shopping. 


On our way back, we stopped at a carpet making store. I figured Jason would want to skip this since he’s seen that before. However he said, “I was 23 and a moron. I don’t remember anything. Let’s go.” Alright then. 


I didn’t expect to be so overwhelmed with the beauty of the carpets. My goodness! They are so beautiful. Every color, pattern, size. Knowing each one takes a woman 10 months or so to make. Every one made by hand. Amazing craftsmanship! 


At this point, we had all of 10 minutes to get on the boat! Thankfully, we were in port a very short walk to the line forming to reboard. I didn’t get to eat any Turkish food- well, I had some sort of bread thing at the carpet shop. I don’t know what it was but when people offer me awesome looking things, I take them.


Since we were back on the boat so early, I thought I’d run down and try to do some laundry. I’m so smart. As is every other woman on the boat.There would not be laundry. It’s a long walk down there, so I was thinking again about wanting to read Ephesians. My favorite Bible version is Ephesians 4:1, “Therefore I urge you brothers, live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” I think about that verse a lot. 


Oh! I forgot to mention. So, my allergies have been kicking because of springtime and all the blooming. But in Ephesus, there was also this weird haze or smog above everything. We asked if that was normal. Pollution? Haze? Fog? What the heck was it. 


If I had a million guesses, I wouldn’t have even come close. I bet you wouldn’t either. It was some funk rolling out of Libya! Can you believe it?? I got smoked out by the Libyans!! 


That night, we tried to go eat dinner in the dining room. We haven’t been going as much because whatever changed in Barcelona continued to be a change for the worst. Service was so slow now. Sometimes you didn’t get everything. Anyway, we went. Sat there with nothing- not even water- and then just got up and left. It’s so odd to have subpar service on a cruise ship! More room service.

No comments:

Post a Comment